Resource Materials for 2023
- A Public Missiology: How Local Churches Witness to a Complex World, by Gregg Okesson, Baker Academic, 2020
- Telling a Better Story: How to Talk About God in a Skeptical Age, by Joshua D. Chatraw, Zondervan, 2020
- The Life We’re Looking For: Reclaiming Relationship in a Technological World, by Andy Crouch, Convergent, 2022
- Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution, by Carl R. Trueman, Crossway, 2022
- Broken Signposts: How Christianity Makes Sense of the World, by N.T. Wright, HarperOne, 2020
- Grace and Gigabytes: Being Church in a Tech-Shaped Culture, by Ryan M. Panzer, Fortress Press, 2020
- Click2Save Reboot: The Digital Ministry Bible, by Keith Anderson and Elizabeth Drescher,
- Church Publishing, 2018 (2nd Edition)
- Life’s Ultimate Questions: A Contemporary Philosophy of Religion, by John P. Newport, Galena Park Institute, 1989
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World, by Cal Newport, Grand Central Publishing, 2016
- Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: a conversation in spiritual theology, by Eugene H. Peterson, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2005
- The Testimony of the Beloved Disciple: Narrative, History, and Theology in the Gospel of John, by Richard Bauckham, Baker Academic, 2007
- Encountering John: The Gospel in Historical, Literary, and Theological Perspective, by Andreas J. Köstenberger, Baker Academic, 2nd Edition, 2013
- The Gospel According to John: The New International Commentary on the New Testament, by Leon Morris, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1971
- John: Word Biblical Commentary, by George R. Beasley-Murray, Word Books, 1987
- John: The NIV Application Commentary, by Gary M. Burge, Zondervan, 2000
- The Gospel of John: A Commentary, Vols I and II, Baker Academic, 2003
Resource Materials for 2022
- The Book of Ecclesiastes: The New International Commentary on the Old Testament - Tremper Longman III
- Recovering Eden: The Gospel According to Ecclesiastes - Zack Eswine
- The Message of Ecclesiastes: A Time to Mourn, A Time to Dance - Derek Kidner
- Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries: Ecclesiastes - Michael A. Eaton
- The Life We’re Looking For: Reclaiming Relationship in a Technological World - Andy Crouch
- Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution - Carl Trueman
- The First Epistle to the Corinthians, The New International Commentary on the New Testament - Gordon Fee
- The First Epistle to the Corinthians, The New International Greek Testament Commentary - Anthony C. Thiselton
- 1 Corinthians, Teach the Text Commentary Series - Preben Vang
- 1 Corinthians, Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament - David Garland
- 1 Corinthians, The New Application Commentary - Craig Blomberg,
- Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution - Carl R. Trueman
- The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution - Carl R. Trueman
- The Church of Us vs. Them: Freedom from a Faith that Feeds on Making Enemies - David E. Fitch
- Broken Signposts: How Christianity Makes Sense of the World - N.T. Wright,
Resource Materials for 2021
- The Reason for God – Tim Keller
- The Case for Faith – Lee Strobel
- Travelling Mercies – Ann Lamott
- Knowing God - J.I. Packer
- Mere Christianity – C.S. Lewis
- Simply Christian – N.T. Wright
- The Cost of Discipleship – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Irresistible Faith – Scott Sauls
Resource Materials for 2020
The Message of Love, by Patrick Mitchel, Inter-Varsity Press, 2019
This new book by Patrick Mitchel is a wonderful analysis of the Biblical perspective of love. Patrick is a Senior Lecturer in Theology at the Irish Bible Institute. This book offers an insightful and reflective exploration of the topic of love as it is presented in the Bible—contrasted with modern society’s views on this timely topic. Order your copy here.
Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory, by Tod Bolsinger, Inter-Varsity Press, 2015
Our staff and key leaders have read this book. We hosted Tod at our church this past year. His insights continue to reverberate throughout the plans and the vision of our church as we face the future together. Order your copy here.
Transformational Church: Creating a New Scorecard for Congregations, by Ed Stetzer and Thom S. Ranier, B&H Publishing Group and Lifeway Research, 2010
This is an excellent analysis of how churches across America are experiencing transformation as communities of faith. We are using this research in developing our own evaluative tools here at First Baptist Arlington. Order your copy here.
Emotionally Healthy Spirituality (Updated Edition), by Peter Scazzero, Zondervan, 2017.
During my Study Leave in 2019, I had the privilege of attending New Life Fellowship in Queens and meeting Pete Scazerro. We will be utilizing this curriculum in developing a new ministry at our church in 2021. Order your copy here.
Deep Roots, Wild Branches: Revitalizing the Church in the Blended Ecology, Seedbed Publishing, 2019
This is the textbook for the new Fresh Expressions movement in the US. Several of our staff members have been to training offered by Fresh Expressions and the insights gained there have influenced the continued development of our ministry vision as a church. Order your copy here.
Fresh Expressions of Church, by Travis Collins, Seedbed Publishing 2015
Travis is the current Pastor of FBC Huntsville, AL – and is a staff member of Fresh Expressions. This book offers a clear explanation of how new churches are being planted by more established churches in fresh ways across the US. Order your copy here.
Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City, by Timothy Keller, Zondervan, 2012
This is a true resource for any church in an urban setting. We have been using this book for several years now --- and we continue to refer to it. Order your copy here.